Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Who Am I?

This is the 'homework' assignment my therapist gave me 2 weeks ago. This is incredibly hard for me - for so long I've allowed others to create who I am that I don't really KNOW!
I'm tired - tired of fighting life - tired of fighting myself - tired of trying to find meaning in this mean existence - tired of chasing an ancient dream...
"
There are times when all the world's asleep
The questions run too deep for such a simple man
Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned?
I know it sounds absurd but please tell me who I am."
--Supertramp - "The Logical Song"
Here are some 'I AM' statements about me:
- I am a songwriter
- I am a musician
- I am an artist
- I am a videographer
- I am a graphic designer
- I am a loving, caring soul
- I am an idealist
- I am a dreamer
- I am the dream
- I am an incorrigible punster - do not incorrige me...
- I am intelligent
- I am stupid
- I am ugly
- I am beautiful
- I am confused
- I am insane
- I am lucid
- I am taking medication for Panic Anxiety Disorder
- I am unemployed
- I am running out of money
- I am running out of time
- I am running out of options
- I am afraid.

None of these statements fully describes 'who I am'. All of these statements have an element of truth to them. All of these statements have an element of 'lie' about them.

Evidently, having an 'identity crisis' is the awareness that you've never had an identity to begin with...

So I smile - nod my head - go with whatever flow is pulling me at the moment - and hope for the best...

No comments:

Post a Comment