Friday, April 8, 2011

Isn't there another way? Why can't WE make it?

I posted this on U-cubed:

My story has less to do with the past as it does with a vision of life going forward. It's clear that our world is changing radically - and quickly. Millions of people in America and around the world will not be going back to work - ever. Whole classes of jobs/careers have been eliminated through attrition, automation and/or aggregation. Many people my age (51) are not just unemployed - we're "unemployable". I propose that, rather than trying to re-enter a moribund system, we collectively re-create ourselves into a new, totally separate socio-economic system. I don't have a specific plan of action (yet), but I DO know that there are millions of skilled, intelligent people who are willing and able to come together for their own common good.
We are not worthless - in fact, we now have the opportunity to get 'off the grid' - not just the power grid, but the unending treadmill our society has become. I do not know what form this transformation will take, but it WILL happen. The 'system' has failed too many for too long. It's time to re-create ourselves in a way that insures the basis of human life on this planet is equitable, sustainable and free.

No comments:

Post a Comment